Sole City Dance Young Co. and Mini Co. Information for 2018
Sole City Dance is pleased to announce the formation of two new student dance companies, Young Company, and Mini Company. Young Company and Mini Company will provide the opportunity for students who are passionate about the art of dance to:
- take an extra technique class where they will learn challenging choreography at a faster pace;
- participate in additional performances and learning opportunities;
- become more self-aware, self-confident and supportive of fellow artists; and
- learn how to make a difference in their community through the power of their art.
Philosophy & Information:
Young Company and Mini Company will be closely based on a professional dance company model. We will hold auditions and choose company members and apprentices. Dancers will audition with their age group. Each company will have a group piece including all company members and a piece with a smaller group of dancers.
Both companies will take a company class on Friday nights 6:30-7:30 pm. During the company class, students will work on expanding their technique and learn choreography for performances. All company members have to be enrolled in another technique class during the week.
We want to remind you that Sole City Dance is a non-competitive dance program. We do not participate in the dance competition industry. SCD programs are instead designed to encourage the development of hard work, teamwork, creative thought and the appreciation of artistic endeavors of all kinds. We strive to create artistic experiences which will inspire, enlighten and empower both participants and audiences. We humbly ask that parents support this philosophy through modeling and discussion with their dancers.
FOR YOUNG COMPANY and MINI COMPANY – Friday, September 28, 2018, at 6:30 pm. A brief parent meeting and dancer orientation session will be held before the audition. There is a $15 audition fee. Please dress in footless or convertible tights, a leotard, and bring ballet shoes.
Jacqui Young will be choreographing for the Young Company and Emily George will be choreographing for the Mini Company.
- Auditions are open to any student age 6+.
- Company members must take at least one ballet class or Dance Works class per week if accepted into a company.
- Company members must be available for performances on Saturday, March 23 for Dance Northeast.
- Each company is $70 per student per month October to June. The $70 is all inclusive; it covers the company class, costumes for performances, administrative fees, performance fees, and a company jacket. This fee is not eligible for a discount, but it can count towards your dance hours for your multi-class discount for other classes.
Sole City Dance’s Dance Northeast Festival performances & master classes, Dancers Making a Difference, Prescott Park Arts Festival, Apple Harvest Day, NH Youth Dance Festival, (Please note: not all dances are invited to perform at every event; some events are adjudicated.)
Rehearsals will begin Friday, October 5, 2018, 6:30-7:30 pm. Please see the attendance policy below.
After four missed rehearsals, dancers may be replaced or removed from choreography at the discretion of the choreographer.
Once choreography is learned, and additional shows are added to the schedule, you will have three days after the announcement of the additional performance to let us know if you are available. If you are unable to attend more than one or two of these performances and corresponding rehearsals, you may be removed from choreography at the discretion of the choreographer or director and replaced by your understudy.
We expect company events to be a priority for all those involved as it is too difficult for directors and your fellow dancers to deal with repetitive absences and conflicts. We appreciate your support and commitment to our performance companies.